Responsible for performing risk analysis for clients and prospective
clients to evaluate and select stop loss coverage for their health
benefit plans, the Stop-Loss Underwriting Manager will manage the
process, interaction and relationships with stop loss carriers.
Develops and maintains systems to monitor quoting activity and
competitiveness of quotes received, evaluating results and making
recommendations for enhancement. Works closely with the sales and
account management team to gather necessary information and
strategize/negotiate quotations while providing a high level of
service. Prepares quotes to be delivered to clients and prospective
clients. Assists in increasing revenue growth and expanding company
capabilities. Reports directly to Executive Vice President and Chief
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently exercises judgment based on the evaluation of
collected case data for the acceptance, modification, or rejection
of group underwriting requests on risks within the delegated
- Determines coverage amounts, premium rates and experience rates on
prospective risks, new business submissions, renewals and amendments
to in-force plans exercising judgment consistent with established
Company, department and supervisory guidelines, manuals and rules.
- Develops processes and guidelines for soliciting and evaluating
quotes from stop loss carriers.
- Develops and maintain sales and underwriting checklist, policies
- Negotiates with stop loss carriers to balance the needs of clients
and prospects within the guidelines of the Group Underwriting department.
- Prepares quotes for sales team to be delivered to prospects and clients.
- Develops processes and guidelines for reviewing client and
prospective client plan designs and stop loss coverage while
providing recommendations and enhancements.
- Develops shadow quotes for stop loss to build data and to compare
to quotes from stop loss fronting carrier partners.
- Maintains accurate and adequate file documentation of all
underwriting decisions, forms, or correspondence as determined by
Company policy or supervisory discretion.
- Develops a proprietary data set for strategic decision making.
- Assists in the coordination of information between all operational
areas of the Company for the purpose of installing and/or
maintaining a successful Group Stop Loss Insurance Program.
- Assists in gathering and evaluating data on more complex cases or
block of business as assigned.
- Prepares presentation materials, explains pricing rationale, and
documents agreed on parameters.
- Develops and maintains strategic relationships with sales and
underwriters of stop loss carriers, brokers and third-party
administrators and other external partners.
- Presents to brokers, consultants, prospects and clients on an as
- Helps train new sales and account management representatives
developing materials on Underwriting concepts and processes.
- Actively strives to acquire additional group insurance knowledge
and develop skills necessary to foster sound underwriting decisions.
- Works on Special Projects as assigned. These can be ongoing, or temporary.
- Develop, hire, and train underwriting support staff.
- Supervise Underwriting and Sales Operations Coordinator.
- Perform other duties as assigned.